Christ's Temptation Practically Explained and Improved in Several SermonsThe Works of Thomas Manton (1620-1677) - Volume 1
Today, many Christians are turning back to the puritans to, “walk in the old paths,” of God’s word, and to continue to proclaim old truth that glorifies Jesus Christ. There is no new theology. In our electronic age, more and more people are looking to add electronic books (ePubs, mobi and PDF formats) to their library – books from the Reformers and Puritans – in order to become a “digital puritan” themselves. Take a moment to visit Puritan Publications (click the banner below) to find the biggest selection of rare puritan works updated in modern English in both print form and in multiple electronic forms. There are new books published every month. All proceeds go to support A Puritan’s Mind.
“One way to get comfort is to plead the promise of God in prayer, show Him His handwriting; God is tender of His Word.”
This may be one of the most popular and well known series of sermons that Thomas Manton delivered (7 of them). It has been published in a variety of forms in a single volume, and certainly part of his overall 22 volume work.
Thomas Manton looks at the temptation Christ suffered from the Devil in the wilderness and shows the origin and purpose of temptation. His classic study examines how Jesus can be God, and yet be tempted. He also demonstrates how temptation exists both for our good and God’s glory, how to combat it and the role we, and angels play in overcoming it.
In contract to the myriads of books on self-fulfillment, this work by Manton is a classic on self-denial. In the spiritual war zone that rages around us the call is for people to follow their captain, to follow a leader who understands our every feeling and who gave everything so that we may succeed in this vital area of our Christian life.
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 1 – Matthew 4:1 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 2 – Matthew 4:2-4 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 3 – Matthew 4:5-6 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 4 – Matthew 4:7 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 5 – Matthew 4:8-9 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 6 – Matthew 4:10 – by Dr. Thomas Manton
- Christ’s Temptation Sermon 7 – Matthew 4:11 – by Dr. Thomas Manton